Just nine days after going into cardiac arrest during an N.F.L. game, Damar Hamlin was released from a Buffalo hospital on Wednesday.
“We have completed a series of tests and evaluations,” said Jamie Nadler, the physician who led Hamlin’s care at Buffalo General Medical Center. “And in consultation with the team physicians, we are confident that Damar can be safely discharged to continue his rehabilitation at home and with the Bills.”
Hamlin, a 24-year-old defensive back for the Buffalo Bills, continues to make steady progress after collapsing on the field after a tackle on Jan. 2. He spent nearly a week in the intensive care unit at a Cincinnati hospital, where he began breathing on his own and walking and talking again late last week. On Monday, he was transported to the facility in Buffalo after his condition had improved and he no longer needed intensive care.
Hamlin’s return home marks the next milepost in his recovery. The Bills said Hamlin was released after he underwent a comprehensive medical evaluation on Tuesday, including cardiac, neurological and vascular testing.
There has been no public announcement on the cause of Hamlin’s medical emergency. The doctors who cared for Hamlin in Cincinnati said on Monday that Hamlin needed further tests and evaluations to determine what caused the cardiac arrest and to treat any potential underlying conditions.